Little Hedgehog Class with Susan B. Anderson
Susan B. Anderson is most famous for her adorable patterns for handknit toys, and this June she's teaching a toy class for Knitcircus Yarns at our Studio Second Birthday weekend!
**If you'd like to sign up for this sock class as well as her Smooth Operator Socks class at the same time, click here. Save $10 if you sign up for both classes.**
***Note that there is homework for this class and there are materials you'll need to bring with you (see below)***
Come to class ready to work on an adorable pint-size hedgehog with a super unique seamless construction. This tiny toy is cleverly constructed and packs in a lot of techniques along the way! Through large group discussion, small group demonstrations and individual help, renowned knit toy-designer, Susan B. Anderson, will help you become a more confident toy knitter. In class students will work on the Hedgie pattern but discussion and demonstrations will cover loads of toy-knitting tips and tricks in general such as face embroidery, stuffing tricks and tips, caring for knit toys, the best fiber content for toy-knitting, gauge tips, a universal tip for remembering the Kitchener Stitch, and a super-fun Twisted Loop stitch that can be used in different projects. The Hedgie project is small so some may even finish in class but everyone will leave with some new toy-knitting skills in their hands!
Finished toy size: 3-inches tall
Date, Time, and Location
This class will be held at the Radisson located at 517 Grand Canyon Dr near our Studio. Class check in time is 8:30-9:00am at the Radisson.
Materials Needed for Class
Yarn: 50 yards each of two contrasting colors (100 yards total) of worsted weight yarn. 100% wool is recommended but other fibers and blends will work fine as long as they are not too slippery or slick. (see notes in Homework below)
The sample is knit in Quince & Co. Lark (100% American Wool) in the Bark (brown for the back) and Egret (white for the front and face) colorways.
Pattern: Purchase and print out your Hedgie Pattern and bring it to class with you. Here's the link on Ravelry.com.
Needles: US size 5, set of 4 double-pointed needles or size to obtain gauge. This needle size is smaller than typically used for worsted weight yarn in order to yield a tighter gauge fabric.
Gauge: 6 stitches per inch in stockinette stitch.
- Yarn needle
- Detachable stitch markers
- Black embroidery floss or fingering weight yarn for face embroidery
- Fiberfill ~ a small baggie-full is plenty!
Come to class with the necessary materials in hand and be ready to dive in and get to work! There are a couple of things to note before class:
- The preferred yarn for Hedgie is 100% wool. Do not bring a slick or slippery yarn because it will be more difficult to work with, especially for the Twisted Loop Stitch section of the toy.
- Check the gauge of your selected yarn and needles by knitting a swatch before class. The most important thing is that your gauge is not too loose. You should have a tight, dense fabric for your toy.
***********Class space is limited to 24 students so sign up today!************
Students may sign up here online or over the phone. Note that your spot in class is not guaranteed until your payment is complete. You may choose to billed by Paypal invoice or you may mail in or drop off a check to our studio. Online payments must be completed by 48 hours before the class start time, and checks must be received at the Knitcircus Studio by 48 hours before the class start time. Please call our studio if you'd like to make last minute payment arrangements and we can check if there is still room in the class for you.
- Correspondence with students is sent by email to the email account supplied at the time of purchase. Please check your email before class for updates regarding your class.
- If you cancel your registration a week or more ahead of time, you can receive a full refund.
- Any cancelations made less than a week before class will be granted no refund or exchange.
- If we cancel a class for any reason, you may choose to receive a full refund or store credit.